CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Small Talk

When you are spending time with your friends and family, what's the conversation like? Is it deep and comfortable or is it surface and awkward...kinda like small talk??? Small-talk is usually reserved for first-time meetings or acquaintances, not close and personal. I personally dislike small-talk between friends. It feels surface and fake to me.

I got to thinking about this today and wondered how I would describe my conversations with the Lord. Are they comfortable and deep like those between old friends or are they surface and awkward? If I honestly answer, I would have to say both at times. There are those times where the conversation flows and is sweet, and there are other times where it more difficult.

What makes the conversations with the Lord sweet? The times where there is both listening and talking. Where everything (including my sin) is laid out before Him. Where He draws me in with His Word and speaks to my soul like only a friend can do. Other times the conversation is not so easy, its hard to talk and to listen. As I was thinking about this, I realized that in those difficult times, the problem is mine, not the Lord's. Often times I bring other things to the table like shame, stress, and struggles, and instead of talking about them and giving them to Him, I hold onto them. I say "my prayers" because its the right thing to do. The time with Him feels broken and disconnected. The fellowship feels more like small-talk and its not as sweet.

His desire is for time with us is for it to be deep and meaningful. Conversation that flows and that isn't surface. How do we get to that? What are the key things that make our time with Him flow and more meaningful?

It begins with praise. The Word says that He inhabits the praise of His people. Beth Moore says that, "Sincere praise from your heart will invite God to pull up His chair and become your audience". Praising helps us to remember who He is and what He is able to do.

The next part is repentance. We can only gain victory over sin when we confess it and give it to Him. He already knows our sins, but wants us to acknowledge it as well. Daily confession allows our conversations with Him to flow...letting sin build up causes our time with Him to be broken and awkward. Make a habit of confessing daily!

After times of confession, we can enter into times of intercession. Praying for others is so important. Ask God to reveal to you who He wants you to pray for everyday. Beth again says that to be more effective just pour out the need and don't give Him suggestions. He is more than capable of working things out for good.

Once we have prayed for others then we can pray for ourselves. I don't know about you, but I need help everyday to live the life He has called me to. Again, He knows the things we struggle with, but He wants us to acknowledge that He alone is capable of taking care of them. It helps us to really know and trust Him.

The last thing is equipping. We are all called to serve God, and we can't do this by ourselves. We need help that only He can give. He is the one that gives us everything we need to live and serve Him each and everyday.

In all these things it is remember to thank Him. Philippians 4:6 says, "in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God". Thanksgiving should be woven throughout every part of your time with Him. Thank Him for His faithfulness, for hearing your prayers, for His mercy and forgiveness, and for being big enough to handle all we lay at His feet.

We should be in constant prayer with Him all day long. The Bible says to pray without ceasing. I realize that every prayer we send His way are not going to be this detailed. But I also know that there has to be a time everyday where we put these steps in practice. Our ability to live this life depends on it.

I wish I could say that I have talks with God like this everyday with little breath prayers lifted up throughout the day, but I can't. Many times I let life get in the way, I focus on one circumstance or another. I focus more on the problems that are facing me, rather than on the One who see them all and has a plan to work them for my good. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have small-talk with the Lord. I want to know Him intimately and deeply like two friends or like a child talking to her Daddy.

Lord, help me to come to you daily and lay it all at Your feet. Speak to me through Your Word. Thank You for desiring deep, meaningful time with me everyday....Amen.


Crystie

0 comments: